Great news for all Cronenberg fans. Criterion have revealed to Fangoria that they are planning a 2-disc release of the classic Cronenberg cult hit Videodrome.
Admittedly we UK fans are going to have to import the Region 1 version, but it looks like it will be worth it. Check out the features below.
"Audio commentary by Cronenberg and cinematographer Mark Irwin
* Audio commentary by stars James Woods and Deborah Harry
* Cronenberg’s short film Camera, created for the Toronto Film Festival in 2000 and starring VIDEODROME’s Les Carlson
* A new 30-minute documentary by VIDEODROME video FX artist Michael Lennick about the movie’s landmark makeup and special FX
* Fear on Film, a half-hour roundtable discussion from 1982 between Cronenberg, John Carpenter and John Landis (all of whom were working on Universal horror films at the time), hosted by director-to-be Mick Garris
* Short promotional featurette from 1982, also created by Garris
* Extensive galleries with makeup test shots, behind-the-scenes photos, publicity stills, marketing materials, etc.
* Samurai Dreams—the fake Japanese soft-porn film seen in the movie, presented in its entirety
* And more! "
Personally, this is one of our favourite films of all time, so it's great to see this film finally getting the attention it deserves. More news on the official release date as we get it.
"Long live the New Flesh!"
An epilogue was planned but never filmed. In it, Max Renn, Bianca O'Blivion and Nicki Brand appear on the set of Videodrome. Bianca and Nicki are shown to have "chest slits" of their own, from which emerge strange mutated sex organs. The scene was scrapped along with many others due to cost overruns, bad timing, and the sheer difficulty of executing such a special-effects scene.
12th Nov 04 The plot of Hacked Off is something you will have seen before. Even if you haven’t seen it before you will think you have. There’s really no surprises in store here: a serial killer escapes from a mental...
Giallo Night 3rd Oct 05 Brought to you by the Italian National Opera in association with the Society for the Protection of Homicidal Rural Priests.